Saturday, March 28, 2015

Mississippi Flyway Zone

As I was reading this morning, I heard the rattle outside of a Flicker drilling into a piece of metal. It's an unmistakable sound, and something I just love to hear (and see - there is something hilarious about a bird drumming onto a metal telephone box or metal chimney just to make himself heard). This is exciting for me because it means birds are returning to the area, and what is even more exciting is that I live in the Mississippi Flyway Zone now so I can see a whole slew of new birds I've never seen before. There are excellent opportunities to do so along the shores of Lake Superior on the UP, and also closer to home for me along Lake Huron. I'm not sure I'll be able to get out too far this year, but I do have plans for some park walks near my home. And I may have to buy a new bird book - my Sibley guide is for Western North America which doesn't help much now that I'm in Michigan.

No comments:

Post a Comment