Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Walking with a Wicked Wind Chill

On Monday I decided to try a practice walk to campus in the snow. I wanted to see what kind of clothing and footwear I would need to walk the 2.5 miles, mostly concerned about footwear. It has been snowing in Lansing, and all around Michigan, and although I haven't completely accepted that this is my new winter life, I am trying to find ways to cope. (I asked Kevin, in all seriousness, "when will this snow go away?" thinking that you know, snow usually melts in 24 hours because that's the way it is on the West Coast. He replied, "Probably around March or April." I sighed.) I admit, it's awfully strange to ask myself questions like, "Is 7 degrees with a wind chill of -11 too cold to walk?" or "When does walking in this weather become too dangerous?" or "Where are my sunglasses?" You know, because the sun is out too, and wow it's bright. So on with thick wool socks, my trusty pair of hiking boots, and gaiters to protect the slush and salt from staining my jeans.

This was a good first step (ha, no pun intended) for my test walk, although I learned some things. I really need something completely waterproof around my feet. So in my search for perfect boots for Michigan winters, I discovered a whole new world of winter footwear. There are big heavy waterproof everything-proof boots, but even though they are quite fashionable, they are just too heavy. (I bought a pair like this in November and they had to be returned - novice!) Next up, I tried to order LL Bean boots. Unfortunately, they are made to order and will be available to ship in... May. MAY, when all the snow is gone. So I searched some more, and found some boots that I hope will work. Yes, they look as if I might be going on an expedition every time I step outside the house, and yes, they aren't really that fashionable, but I will be able to walk miles in these with toasty toes. Or at least that is the description online. Throw on some gaiters and leg-warmers and I'm good to go. I'll give another footwear update once they arrive!

Some photos of campus - empty and serene.

No comments:

Post a Comment