Thursday, January 8, 2015

The Only Thing Bad is the Music

Looking down the bar at Strange Matter Coffee
Although there are plenty of coffee houses in Lansing, few of them have decent coffee. I am by no means a coffee snob. I just like my coffee strong without an after taste. I do, however, prefer a nice good cup of drip. I don't need espresso, or any other kind of foamy drink, just straight coffee with a splash of milk. Clean and simple. Unfortunately, the local chain here has really bad coffee. I mean, really bad. It's actually kind of gross, so I won't name any names. And it has aforementioned after taste. I've tried it three times thinking it was just a fluke. But it's not. It's bad. The other thing about coffee houses is that most of the ones in East Lansing are swarming with undergrads pretending to study. And I just can't do it. There is one not too far from campus that is actually pretty decent, has a nice atmosphere, and the baristas are nice. But it is packed to the rafters with sweatpants and Uggs.

Upon hearing about a coffee house from one of my classmates that is about five blocks away from my house (yes, you might be thinking "why didn't she just look on the internet for a place?" I can't answer that. Sometimes I live in a cave) I decided to try it. My only hesitation; it is a pour-over joint. This partly makes my teeth cringe, because I just don't care that much about artisan coffee. I will emphasize again, I'm happy with a strong cup of drip with a splash of milk. It's what makes me love Dunkin' Donuts. Just give me a 16 ounce cup of coffee, one cream. I mean geeze, I'm not embarrassed to admit that even when I lived in Seattle I went to Starbucks almost every day for a tall Pike. So, I decided to try this place anyway, and put my feelings about one-hand-crafted-cup-of-coffee made with love from only the best beans that takes about 7 minutes to create, aside. I admit, it was good! And the atmosphere is great! And there is something kind of special about receiving a cup of coffee on a little tray in a beaker with a mug and a small shot of cream on the side. I savored it and read my book while seated at the bar. The one bad thing about this place? Their music station was set to bad music from the late 90's, a la Hootie and the Blowfish. I'm not sure I can forgive this, but I will try.

No comments:

Post a Comment