Thursday, January 22, 2015

Video Game Music and Rainy Day Cafe

The other day I was chatting with several of my cohort-mates and the topic moved to studying styles. I am not entirely sure I have a studying style, but I do find that I get the most work done while seated at my dining room table. However, something very interesting came up, and it was video game music. I'm not much of a video game player, unless you count that spell in middle school when we had a Nintendo and it was Super Mario Bros ALL DAY LONG. So apparently, there is a trend of listening to video game music while studying, because the entire genre was composed to increase engagement (or something like that). Another suggestion was put forth by a classmate, called Rainy Day Cafe. "It's just a site with the sound of a cafe, and rain, and you can adjust the levels of each." All of this kind of blew my mind. Listening to video game music, and a site that only has cafe sounds? I decided to give it a try. So this morning, while reading, I listened to the cafe (no rain sounds because that actually puts me to sleep). The occasional clink of silverware on a plate, and the low murmur of voices was first weird, then really great. I had my own little cafe this morning and I pounded through 100 pages of reading. Next, I had to start work on a paper. So I decided to go for video game music. There are several different ones, I found one that is not too loud or, for lack of a better way to put it, makes me feel like I'm winning. It's called Fez, and again, totally worked. Maybe I'm just playing tricks on myself, but I have to say, I felt that the little boost of video game music did indeed do something to my psyche. In the words of Super Mario Bros, 1-Up!

No comments:

Post a Comment