Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Welcome Home to Snow

Looking out the front door to snow
After ten days away on the West Coast, I finally arrived back in Lansing. It was a wonderful trip, although strange as well. I have made Lansing my home and found a routine for myself, as well as focus to concentrate on school and to pursue what I have always dreamed of pursuing. Being back in Seattle reminded me why I love the landscape of the Pacific NW, and my heart ached ever so slightly for the salt water, mountains, big trees, and steep hills of the city. However, I know that place isn't my home anymore, and when the plane took off to come back to Michigan, my body longed for the Midwest. I was reminded of one of my favorite children's books titled Grandfather's Journey by Allen Say. In it he writes, "...the moment I am in one country, I am homesick for the other." Although my feelings are not quite this easily translated, I do have a hint of having the pull of one western and one midwestern state. 

No comments:

Post a Comment