Monday, December 8, 2014

A Fair Weather Cyclist

It's been cold. Not extremely cold, like pushing zero cold, but cold enough that I haven't ridden my bike in a while. The first snow a few weeks ago made me re-think all season biking in Michigan. I know there are people who do this, but I have to admit, I'm a little afraid. The wind chill on my face, numb fingers and toes, and most of all, the condition of my bicycle. Unlike the west-coast cities, Lansing, and all parts of the country that get regular snow, salt the roads. This turns into what I've been told is the "salt line" on your pants, and also means washing your car regularly in the winter time. This also makes me second guess biking because, well, (I know this is a totally lame excuse) I have a lovely bicycle!! I love this thing. I don't want it get all crappy with road salt. I know, I know, I could just rinse it off. But then I think "My numb fingers and toes". And then I think, "If I walked, I could listen to a podcast and keep my hands in my pockets and wear my big snow boots." Yes, these are the things that go through my head when I consider how to get to campus. As of late I have been walking to campus, but then there are days when I don't have time to make the 50 minute walk and I stare at my bike, then run to the bus-stop.

The reason I have to explain all of this is because I grew up with a dad that biked to work almost every day. I thought this was normal.  I thought biking to and fro was just, you know, how one gets around. In high school I used to bike to school every once in a while (until my seat got stolen and I got annoyed). Then I switched to walking. My first job after undergrad I biked to work, because I thought that was what I was supposed to do. I continued to do this off and on throughout my career in every city I've lived in. But I've been an amateur bike commuter most of life until moving to Michigan when I used my trusty steed every time I had to get to campus, or really, go anywhere. I love my bike, what can I say? But, but, it's just so cold. And the salt. Maybe I'll give it a go soon, (after enough guilt has settled in) but for now, it's walking with a podcast.

1 comment:

  1. Yep. I thought about buying one of those fat tire bikes that ride well in the snow but I'd be afraid of getting it dirty (they cost around $2000). Fortunately, so far, the weather has been kind in Spokane and I am still able to ride four or five days per week. That will end soon, I'm afraid.

    ReplyDelete