Thursday, November 20, 2014

This is Normal

They call him the shoveler
Yep. We got some snow. A lot of folks on campus know that I'm not from around here, so this week I've been asked a lot about "how am I holding up with this change in the weather?" I'm not quite sure how to answer that question, because I've been bracing for this kind of thing since I knew we were going to move here.

I've been preparing for this since March when I decided it was going to be Michigan State! Yes! Say yes to Michigan! Go Spartans! I knew the Midwest offered a different kind of weather, landscape, people. So I just decided that I would go along with it. And I have.

So when I get asked, "How you holding up?" or "Pretty different than Seattle!" I just say, "Yeah! Good!" and have a puzzled look on my face because, this is normal, right? It's normal to talk about long underwear and putting YakTrax on your shoes, and snow shovels, and the lake effect, and biking in the snow, and shearling lined boots, and The Salt Line. (You know, the place on your pants that gets stained because of the de-icer salt on the sidewalk).

There's nothing I can do about it now, I mean, I'm the one who chose MSU over...... oh San Diego. You are like a dream now. And this is normal.

No comments:

Post a Comment