Saturday, November 29, 2014

The Night Before Thanksgiving (Extra Butterine)

Extra Butterine
There are certain family holiday traditions that I've been able to be a part of over the years as a result of being away from my own immediate family. This year since I stayed in the Midwest for Thanksgiving, I spent the holiday in Joliet, IL with a friend of mine and her family. Before I arrived I had asked, "So, how many people are there for Thanksgiving?" Thinking to myself probably 12. She replied, "About 50!" After my initial shock wore off I became really excited. 50 people for Thanksgiving! There are a few traditions that this family has, all of which I was able to share in. One of these traditions falls on the night before Thanksgiving, when almost all 50 (I think there were 35 for this event) go to a local restaurant called Merichka's and eat World Famous Poor Boys sandwiches. (yes you read that right, Poor Boy, NOT Po' Boy.) The secret to the deliciousness of these sandwiches? Butterine. Garlic Butterine. I'm not certain what this is, but I do know that it is lathered on the bread, and brought to the table in extra servings, and also can, once cooled, glue a water glass to the table. It is quite tasty, I must say. And it could be the reason that family traditions like this happen but once a year.


No comments:

Post a Comment