Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Little Fixes

Hanging fruit basket and spices!
It takes time to make all the little parts of a home feel like home. There are so many nooks and crannies (especially now that I'm in a house) to squeeze some comfort into. The little adjustments that do get made always feel really special, and one small thing can make a huge difference.

This week, two little fixes happened in the house. The first was that the stairs were painted! Before this, there was ugly carpet, which sagged a little. I actually fell down them one night as I went to, er, get a glass of water. (Don't worry, I'm fine, but I had an awful bruise up my left ankle and shin, which caught my fall). Thank goodness I slipped backwards and not forward. So the carpet got ripped off, three stairs got fixed/replaced, and now they are painted! One more coat should do it, but I'm so relieved to have that nasty saggy carpet gone!

The second little fix was to the kitchen. Well, several things happened in here. The stove fan got a new pull chain (and got cleaned, the grating to the fan was super gross), a little area of the counter was made level (no more water pitcher sliding towards the stove!), a little shelf for spices was put up, and a fruit basket that once sat on the counter, was made to hang! The counter space now is so spacious. I, obviously, can't take credit for any of these things. But I can take credit for being so happy and excited about these fixes (especially the genius of hanging the fruit basket) that I gave the handyman a big kiss.


No comments:

Post a Comment