Wednesday, November 5, 2014

That Sinking Feeling

Yesterday I met with one of my professors to go over a paper draft that I am writing. I had received feedback from him, most of which I knew was coming. I remember thinking to myself as I turned in a first draft "I know there are some major things wrong with this, will he notice?" Duh, of course he did. I spent almost an hour with him going over my research problem and trying to fix all the issues in the paper. He's the type of professor at HALE that pats you on and back and says "this is terrible" at the same time. He's forgiving and as we were finishing up he said to me "I know that this conversation probably didn't get you any further along. I remember when I was doctoral student I would meet with my advisor and sometimes I'd leave his office more confused than when I walked in. So I know what you're going through. But you have to just start writing more. Don't get stuck just start writing." Although I appreciated that, I still walked out of his office with a big sinking feeling that I don't think I can do this. The intensity of it was disarming, making me lose my resolve to want to finish this paper. That sinking feeling comes and goes, and I know will be with me throughout my career here, however it really did feel like too much yesterday.

So, I walked into the main lobby area of the building and opened my computer and all the notes he had scribbled for me and began to write.

No comments:

Post a Comment