Tuesday, October 7, 2014

The Longest Day of the Week

There are two things in the house that are the loudest when everything else is quiet. The ticking of the clock in the dining room area, and the buzzing of the light above the table. These are my muses.

The routine: wake up early, get a cup of coffee, flip open the computer, read the news for 5 minutes, start working. This happens almost everyday, except on Tuesdays I add: prepare myself for the longest day of the week.

Two classes occur, back to back. All first year PhD students go through this. It's like a doctoral hazing ritual. Class one starts at 3pm, finishes at 6pm. Class two starts at 7pm, finishes at 10pm. There is a little hour in there to have dinner and uncross my eyes a bit before launching into class two. And of course the best part about having class until 10pm? When I get home, feeling so brain tired, I am suddenly super amped and can't go to sleep until 1am.

No comments:

Post a Comment