Saturday, October 11, 2014

Reflections While in Action

Brilliant Campus
The campus library is about 2.5 miles away. Today was a beautiful fall day, a cool 57 degrees with full sun, so I decided to walk instead of my usual bike ride. Walking gave me some head space to break from the paper I've been working on and
enjoy the scenery, and just breathe. In addition to my regular reading for classes, I've been reading a lot about professional education, practitioner faculty, and a theory called "reflection-in-action." This is all connected to a proposal I need to submit at the end of the semester (of which I am focusing my research on full-time faculty and part-time faculty issues for graduate programs of nonprofit management - you don't think I'd leave my nonprofit world!) and it's quite interesting. Two years ago I purchased a book where this theory originates, but I never read it. Maybe I bought it to build out my library or look smart, but now I'm glad I did because it's full of interesting things. How we learn, our tacit knowledge, how we change and adapt while in the midst of problems and challenges. I feel at home in the reading, I recognize myself there. The walk was my own kind of action while reflecting. I wasn't being reflexive, per se, but I was able to filter my thoughts and concentrate them only on - walking. What a nice brain break.

No comments:

Post a Comment