Sunday, November 29, 2015

Thankful Giving

Empty Plate, Full Heart
Kevin and I went to Joliet, Illinois again this year for Thanksgiving. Last year, as new Midwesterners, we were invited to spend the holiday with our friend and her family. She grew up near Joliet, and much of her extended family lives in the area. Like last year, there were almost 50 people there for Thanksgiving dinner. And like last year, the festivities kicked off on Wednesday night with a dinner at Merishka's, a local restaurant that serves up butterine filled chicken and beef poor boy sandwiches. Mmmm fried food. We needed that fuel on Wednesday evening because of the family walk and run down a trail through the woods that follows a little river. This year, with my new found rhythm in running, I was able to be one of the runners of the group and did almost 5 miles. Nothing like starting Thanksgiving Day with a run! (Mostly because then I can somehow justify gorging for the rest of the day). I am so thankful to have this extended family to visit during such a family centered holiday. Washington state is too far to travel for a short-long weekend, and having my friend and her lovely family welcome us in two years now, and I know for the future of our time here in the Midwest is so heartwarming.

No comments:

Post a Comment