Sunday, February 22, 2015

Welcome! Please Come! The Cookies Are Delicious!

It's been (close to) exactly one year since I first set foot in Lansing. February 13, 2014 I flew in to attend the Graduate Research Colloquium, GRC for short. It is connected to the entire HALE department and is a weekend to learn more about the program as an admitted student and also learn about the kinds of research that current students are doing. I don't remember much about the GRC from last year - it was kind of a whirlwind of activity. However, the little that I do remember consists of three things: 1) I always seemed to find admitted master's students during mingling time, and wondered where all the admitted PhD folks were 2) One young woman from Kentucky who was really intense and focused. And I mean REALLY intense. She did not join our cohort, but I'm sure she found a PhD program that was just right for her 3) The Spartan Cookie. This is the kind of cookie that I LOVE. Lots of rich fake frosting, sugar cookie base, and a weird logo that kind of looks like paper, but alas! You can eat it. It's one of the reasons I attend events now, because there is always a good chance Spartan Cookies will be there.

Aside from these things, though, the GRC is what helped me make my decision to come here. I never thought I would move to Lansing. Yet something about the program, the faculty, the "feel" of it all seemed to gel with me. And during this time of year, during only my second semester, when the winter blues start to set-in and the big questions about why am I here, and the weight of school and transition are sometimes unbearable, it would seem the worst time to meet possible incoming students. The funny thing is though, is that while having conversations with these prospective students, I was reminded of why I am here. I came because I wanted time to ask questions. I wanted time to dive deep into a subject or two. I wanted time to see where this leap would take me. And I wanted to do this all within the space that permitted it and encouraged it. And that's here. Of all places, Michigan.

No comments:

Post a Comment