Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Running Update - 1/2 Marathon Blues(ish)

I went for my longest run on Sunday. Yep, I'm still running. I'm somewhat surprised by this, but also not really because I've stopped thinking about it and I just do it now. I have become that person that wakes up at 6am and by 6:30 or 6:45 I'm out the door. Kevin is on the bandwagon too. We have a running regimen. Tuesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays, long run Sundays. So I went for 9 miles. Can you believe it? NINE MILES. The longest I've ever run in my life is 10, and that was when I went out for the cross-country team in high-school that one year because I was kind of bored and wasn't playing soccer. Anyway, nine miles!

We've been running the Lansing River Trail
because we can do an out and back for several
miles. And yes, my pace has slowed down.
I'm working on it.
These long distances mean that I'm serious about running a half-marathon as my previous post on the matter stated I would. And I wanted to go big for this event, which is the Detroit 1/2. The timing isn't perfect. It is on a Sunday that is the Sunday after I get right back into town from a school trip, and Kevin is also out of town right up until that day. But we really wanted to do this, so we started planning. Then things just kind of started to fall apart. Two big issues: It's freakin' expensive! And we'd have to stay the night in Detroit and our travel back home the day before would have been a tricky issue because the Detroit 1/2 goes "international," that is, it goes across the bridge to Windsor, Canada and we'd have to figure out how to get our passports checked in the day before. Anyway, after some conversation, we decided to bail and find another race. It was too complicated.

So yay! We found a race in early November and it's basically here in Lansing!! So much easier! And it's all trail running! I've been checking the website and just recently decided to check again to see when they were going to start registration, because it seemed to be getting kind of late. Uh, then I noticed that it was only a 5K. I guess maybe the 1/2 was only last year? I don't really understand, but whatever. So I went back online and found YET ANOTHER race the next day about an hour away.

I really need to do this. I'm not running nine miles, and increasing it by 1/2 a mile every week for nothing. I think I've found the right one, it's a mixture of trails, hills, roads, and park spaces and is an hour and fifteen minute drive. Cross your fingers that it the race is on because I am so getting ready for this.

No comments:

Post a Comment