Friday, September 11, 2015

The Paper Agenda

Last year as a first year grad student, I did do some things that were extremely intentional. I mean, outside of reading all of my assigned readings and writing everything. No really. I tried out some different study techniques to see how I study and keep track of things best. During my working career, I had a really good method for how to keep track of everything and where each day would begin. Part of this technique did carry over, i.e., post-it notes and certain ways of collating and stacking papers. One thing that I've learned however, is that I need a particular balance of paper and electronics. For example, I learned that having a paper copy of all of my readings works better for me. And that taking notes on my computer really is the best way. I tried taking notes by hand and it was awful. I also tried reading everything on my computer and it wasn't so bad, but I prefer paper. That way I can also read it on the bus.

Another way this balance of paper and electronics plays out is in my calendaring. I usually used my google calendar for everything. The problem is, it only syncs one way, from my computer to my phone, and not the other way around. This just means that when I make an appointment without my computer, I check the calendar on my phone, then pull out a sticky note and write down the appointment so I can add it to my google calendar once I'm back at my laptop. I tried emailing myself but I also have this distaste for seeing unopened emails so that didn't work because I'd open the email in my phone and then forget to enter it into my google calendar. Anyway, all of this to say that I'm going all paper for my calendar and agenda. And I got this awesome agenda! (See below!) I love it! So, wanna have some dinner? Let me just check my date book! How about a study date? Let me take a look at next week! Because it's got full month and week views!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment