Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Movement Part 1 - Weather Systems

The weather in Michigan moves. Having grown up in Oregon, and then living most of my adult life in Seattle, being here has made me more aware of how little the weather changed in the NW. This could also be due to where my NW cities are situated. But I can’t help but think about how much change happens in one 24-hour period here. And then over the span of a week, there can be a 15-20 degree difference.

My sister-in-law's NC clean-out
I mention all of this because it has made me think more about movement – about how things change, and whether that change happens rapidly or slowly. Or maybe it’s only our perception of how quickly things can change. In the last couple of weeks I have also been reminded of the concept of former lives. My “former life” feels so far away, like another person’s life, like a young woman I could talk to now and reassure her that today, in the future, things are going really well.

Kevin’s sister mentioned this to me in an email, as she recapped a recent trip she took to North Carolina to, in a way, attend to her former life there. After eight years, she finally went back to get things that were left in a house she used to own and bring them back to Seattle. She wrote, “…it was almost like I was sorting through the life and things of someone else. Part of me wished that I could have gone back to myself of 2007 and shown her even just a glimpse of what her life would be like in 2015.” I share this sentiment.

Look at this super cute
cabinet Kevin brought
back to Lansing from NC
So much in my life has changed, and sometimes very rapidly. But when things aren’t changing quickly enough it feels like the weather in Seattle – rain for days, for months. I am more cognizant and in some ways, grateful for how rapidly the weather system moves here. Really moves. It is a good reminder that things are shifting, and I appreciate the metaphor of movement to a drizzle, humidity, a thunderstorm, and a sun break that clears everything out.

No comments:

Post a Comment