Monday, April 20, 2015

Memories, Dreams, Reflections

When I was 24, I read a book titled "Memories, Dreams, Reflections." It was recommended to me by one of my favorite professors (the same one who said we are built to do something) and the book is a collection of thoughts, meanderings, philosophies, and recollections by Carl Jung. At the time, it stuck with me deeply, and I lent it out to a friend of mine. I often do that with books when I find them particularly wonderful. The unfortunate part is that when I go back to find the book I don't ever remember lending it out (and by "lending" I mean "giving") and conclude that I lost it. Then I go on my merry way and forget all about it. This has happened a few times with a couple of books, a book of poems by Hafiz titled The Gift. Also, I am pretty certain that I have purchased a few copies of "Refuge" by Terry Tempest Williams and then loaned each one out.

I hadn't thought about my Jung book until late last year, when I met with a professor on campus to talk about one of our shared interests, transformative learning. He falls on the poetic side of the transformative learning theory, which I'm totally comfortable with - it's the version of the theory that emphasizes imagination, emotion, and messiness over the rational. We also discussed Jung, because his depth psychology is an influencing agent for parts of this theory. And as we were talking I thought, "Where is that book?" Having recently moved I racked up its loss to being somewhere between Seattle and Lansing. But, alas, I remembered I loaned it out, aka, gave it away, so many years ago. So I bought another copy. I am starting a summer reading list, and whether I get to this book or not I don't know. However, I do know that I finally have a copy of it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment