Thursday, April 23, 2015

Listening Not Singing

Now that I am able to walk again to campus I have been listening to a lot of music. Not that I didn't listen to music a lot before I started walking again, but now I can listen to a complete album as I make my way to campus. This does two things for me: it makes me appreciate music, and it makes me miss it terribly. I always considered myself a painter who was a musician on the side. Some might disagree with that assessment especially because I have been more prolific in music than in visual arts in the last 5 years. Despite what artistic part of me is "on the side" I have been missing the creative parts of my life. How I cope with this is to listen to a lot of music. Yesterday I was missing my musician self quite particularly, so I opened up some old recordings and gave them a listen. It's always been a strange feeling to listen to my own music, but I do it anyway because it's like familiarizing myself to someone who is a part of me but is much more quiet these days. I don't know yet if during the summer I will make any music, or just read, or just whatever. I don't like to force myself to make stuff now because I live such a disciplined life already. (I admit that at one point I did live a very disciplined artistic life, but not right now). So we shall see. Here are a couple of tracks I recorded for some friends who put together compilation albums. My way of listening to myself. Fairuza and For July



No comments:

Post a Comment