Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Museum Refresh

The few pieces I enjoyed today
I was reminded today by my sisters-in-law about self-care. They both know me well enough to know the things I love to do, and the things that nourish me, and today they reminded me to do those things. Even though I have a lot going on right now, and have been feeling the stress of the end of this semester and trying to muster up energy (and sometimes courage) to continue on, I needed that reminder to take time out. I had a meeting on campus today, and I ended up getting there a little early, and then the person I was meeting with was running just a wee bit late, so I decided to take some time and walk around campus with my headphones in. I went to North Campus, and directed myself to the Broad Museum. It was an overcast drizzly day, and I walked around the small outdoor sculpture area and snapped some photos. Then I checked the time, and realized I still had about 15 minutes, so I walked inside. I have said this before, and I will say it again here; the hum of a museum and the tempo of my walk from scene to scene is extremely relaxing for me. I have time to quiet my mind and contemplate. Even in the 15 minutes I had, I decided to only focus on a few pieces and let my mind blur, then clear, and just listen. It was extremely nourishing. Stepping through the museum stirred me and hushed me, encouraged me and wrapped around me. As I walked out I thought, "I should do this more often. It's free to come here." There are also tables on the main floor, and although I haven't inspected them yet, they may be a good place for me to go and read.

Outside the museum (And the museum itself is a work of art).

No comments:

Post a Comment