Sunday, June 21, 2015

Bicycle Blalock

Every Father's Day I call my dad and wish him a happy day, and then we chat for a little while. This year, I'm not quite sure how to carry on this tradition because he's been riding his bike across the country. The time difference between us makes it hard for one thing, because he could either be sleeping if I call early or preparing for his day of riding. If I call in the afternoon, he'll likely be on his bike. And then in the evening, he may be busy setting up camp with the group he's riding with or may not have cell service because I think he's somewhere in Colorado. I've mentioned elsewhere on my blog the reasons I ride my bike. That I was raised by a dad who rode his bike everywhere, so I thought that's what I was supposed to do. Needless to say, I am very thankful for this because it's so much more enjoyable than driving. And I loves me a good country drive. Here in Lansing, it's so easy to get to and fro because it's so freakin' flat. And where I need to go on my bike is never more than a few miles. Tiny City Life!

Anyway, I don't need to say how proud I am of my dad for taking this trip to ride his bike across the country. I've met many people who claim that being outdoors really nourishes them, or that it's being outside that really gives them life. My dad is this sentiment to the max. He truly loves being outdoors, it really does give him life, and it nourishes him. It is a part of who he is and the depth of his spirit. He passed this trait down to me, the love of the outdoors (although I don't have it quite to his extent). He was the first person I ever went on a multi-day backpacking trip with. He and I used to hike almost every weekend when I was in high school (and I still chuckle about our drive to the hiking trail in the Columbia River Gorge because every time - and I mean EVERY TIME he would nurse a can of diet Pepsi on the drive out, and EVERY TIME spill it in the car). My dad and I share an affinity for the outdoors, and it is this trait that I'm so thankful he passed down to me.

Here's my dad's bike and trailer on his ride, in the Ozark National Scenic Riverways

No comments:

Post a Comment