Monday, December 26, 2016

Kitchen Christmas

The empty metro on Christmas Day
We arrived in Montreal Saturday evening, and before we left town I looked at Kevin and said, "you know I really didn't get you anything for Christmas." He responded that we got one another a kitchen this year for Christmas, and that made me feel better.  This semester has been distracting for me, it was the last I had of my coursework, I had to nail down a dissertation topic, and I am pregnant. This is the first year in maybe ever that I wasn't excited about giving gifts. Giving things and making things is kind of how I communicate how I care about people and how I love them, and I didn't even have the mind or energy for it which speaks volumes about my mood. Not that I don't care about my friends and family, I just had zero energy or even interest in trying to conjure up enthusiasm for holiday festivities.

Obviously, thinking about the holidays was not on my priority list, least of all gift giving. So we decided instead to have a holiday away, and not get one another gifts. Plus, the kitchen remodel is certainly a big enough gift for both of us to have. And here we are in Montreal, with every one around us speaking French and the snow is all over and it's quite cold but we have a nice cozy little spot to relax and lounge around in. It's wonderful. We had a pizza dinner last night at a place in Old Town Montreal, and for the rest of the week we'll venture out when we want, or stay in and drink hot cocoa and eat crepes. And poutine. Mmmmmmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment