Monday, August 24, 2015

The Backpack

My trusty summit pack and all things
outdoor pack - styling circa 1990
I started hiking on my own when I was in high school, it directly corresponded with my ability to drive myself around. When I started to go hiking on my own, my dad let me borrow his old backpack. I can't remember now if he just let me borrow it and I commandeered it, or if he actually gave it to me. Either way, this backpack has been on many of my outdoor journeys. I summited Mount Hood with it, I summited South Sister with it as well. I've taken it down the shores of Washington state as I backpacked through Third Beach to Strawberry Point, and also through Lake Chelan and the North Cascades. This backpack has been one of my most trusted items of outdoor life. I looked at it recently because we went camping and I thought, "wow, this thing is old school." I know it is more than 20 years old, probably more like 25. But this thing has really held up. And it's so full of memories I will never get rid of it. Now, it gets to explore Michigan with me.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, I've been looking for that pack for the last 20 plus years! Well, I guess you can now claim it as your own. Dad

    ReplyDelete