Thursday, August 6, 2015

Middle Year Music and a Turntable

There are currently four podcasts that I rotate through these days, one of which is a music podcast called Sound Opinions. I've been listening to this one for about seven years now, and from it have learned about musicians I might not have considered. Sometimes though, I am less faithful in my intake of Sound Opinions, which also means that I then don't take in much new music. I used to be pretty on top of it all, but alas, school, work, etc. gets in the way of my listening time for podcasts. In the last few months, however, I have been trying to get some new albums in and listen to some oldies but goodies. Another reason for wanting to listen to more music is because (drumroll) Kevin bought us a turntable! I'm so very excited about this, because the loss of my old one is a very sad story that I will not go into here. And not only did Kevin buy a turntable, but he also bought my most favorite Bob Dylan album to go with it! So yippee! We can play records again! Like my friends at Sound Opinions (which if you haven't heard of this podcast and you love music, you should subscribe) I'm going to run down the albums I've been listening to that are either new this year or new to me, plus my oldie but goodie Bob Dylan.

Bob Dylan, Desire: I love this album. Pure Gold, with back up vocals by Emmylou Harris, another favorite musician of mine.

Bjork, Vulnicura: This album came out around spring-time, and I listened to it like a moth to a lightbulb, I couldn't get enough. I own a lot of her albums, but hadn't listened to her in some time. Then I read that she was putting out a new album based mostly on the break-up of a 13 year relationship. I was shocked to hear about the end of this relationship, and saddened. So I couldn't help but indulge in listening to her music as she processed this painful part in her life. The album is quirky, beautiful, and I did start crying once on the bus because of it.

Sia, 1000 Forms of Fear: Why have I not listened to this album yet?? I just bought it and can't stop listening. I saw Sia perform with Zero 7 about 10 years ago, not really knowing who she was, and I was mesmerized and jealous of her pipes. The latest album by her is fantastic. It soars, with some dance pop, and maybe it uses calculated melodies, but I'm all in.

Levi Fuller, The Wonders That There Are: This is a shout out to my old bandmate, who released this album in late 2014. I didn't really start listening to it - good listening - until earlier this year so I count it. I've always been a fan of Levi's music, and this album is much more varied than his other ones. It also rocks a bit more, and I love it because it reminds me of our interaction together as bandmates. (and I love it because it reveals the growth in his own music)

Courtney Barnett, Sometimes I Sit and Think, Sometimes I Just Sit: Here's an example of having my guys at Sound Opinions praise an album so much that I have to have it. Had I still been living in Seattle, I may have heard Ms. Barnett's music on the radio, the blessed KEXP, but out here in Michigan there is no such radio station so I rely on other methods for new and wonderful music. This is the kind of folksy, rocking, straight-forward music I can completely get behind. It is also the closest to my own music making so it holds some nostalgic reminders for me.


No comments:

Post a Comment