Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Paczki Day!

I'm so glad I learned last year that Fat Tuesday is Paczki Day in the Midwest! Paczki Day was yesterday, obviously, and I ate a delicious chocolate filled paczki. I had to go to my doctor's office to get a blood draw to test my glucose levels  for gestational diabetes (I'm not always sure exactly what all these blood draws are for, so I just do what they tell me. Also as a side note, I have never had much luck in getting my blood drawn. For some reason most nurses and doctors are unable to find my veins, even though my veins are practically bursting from my arm screaming, "pick me!!" I usually come out of an office bruised on both arms because they keep going back and forth. Another reason I hate the act of giving blood. Last time I did I was bruised for a while. But the nurse at my doctor's office is SO GOOD and it is so painless and she only has to stab me one time). Anyway, I went to get a blood draw early in the morning, and then went to the QD, or Quality Dairy down the street and much to my delight they had a two for two, so of course I bought four paczkis. Two chocolate, and two custard. There is some speculation about who has the best paczkis in town. There is a bakery in Lansing called Roma Bakery that most people claim is the best, but Kevin did a taste test at work and they agreed that QD had the better paczki. I haven't had a paczki from Roma since last year so I can't weigh in on this debate. But I did make the mistake of buying a package from the neighborhood market down the street because I was desperate for a paczki over the weekend and, well, they were pretty bad. I will never make that mistake again. So yesterday I went specifically to QD (knowing Roma would be chaos). Although I believe the more traditional paczkis are jelly or jam or fruit filled, I do love chocolate and custard, so.... remember, two for two!! Once I got back home around 10am after my doc appointment I immediately gobbled up my chocolate paczki. It was delicious. Sadly, I'll have to wait until next year to have another one.

2 comments:

  1. I assume the comment including "weight in" was an unintended pun? You are your mother's daughter; can't find a vein and bruising. Dad

    ReplyDelete