Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Sleepy Hollow

After we came back from our backpacking trip in August, Kevin and I decided we wanted to try to do some "quick overnighters" if we could closer to Lansing. He learned about a state park called Sleepy Hollow, and it is literally a 25 minute drive from our house. Given the beautiful fall weather we are having here in Michigan, we picked a weekend to do one of these quick overnighters. I planned ahead and tried to get all of my school work done-ish for the week so I could enjoy the weekend. We also had to plan a weekend that didn't interfere with the state park's annual Halloween trick-or-treat camping, because how awful would it be to have to spend the evening at our campsite passing out candy. I reserve passing out candy only on Halloween night. We went this past weekend, and it's a good thing because it was the last last weekend before the park closed its campground. It was great to get outside, do some birding (Redhead, GBH, Downy, etc.), and hiking around in the crunchy autumn leaves. One thing, however I will never really understand, is why people bring TVs with them on camping trips. In the evening I was walking to the restroom, and the campers in the area had TVs outside, with people sitting around talking, Christmas lights on, music on, whatever. It baffles me. Most campers were pretty quiet, but I think next time we do a quick overnighter we might try to find a campground that has walk-in sites. These are guaranteed to keep TVs and stereos at bay from our tiny tent and also give us a little privacy.

No comments:

Post a Comment