Sunday, October 23, 2016

I'm Sorry Blog

Earlier this year, all the cardboard
I realized it has been almost a month since I last posted. I'm sorry blog. I try not to let so much time pass, but I've been procrastinating on writing a post because "I've been very busy." That's what I say when people ask me how I'm doing. "I'm doing well. I've been very busy." Busy is something I say when I don't know what else to say. It seems to answer the question of how am I without making it sound like I'm just bored and that's why I don't return emails or texts. I could take the time to write a post, but I just haven't because I've been busy.... and lazy. And out of routine. It's amazing how important routine is. And when I'm out of it, gathering the energy to do something I built a habit doing just seems so hard! Alas, I'm here, I'm writing. And so.

One of the busy things that's happened is there is now no more cardboard in the backyard!! You may recall that very early this year we covered up a section of our backyard lawn with cardboard to kill the grass. We wanted to landscape it a bit and give it more pizzazz. Well, enough time had passed for the grass to die, and we finally got around to attending to the cardboard ruins. Kevin mostly did it, I will happily admit. (Because I'm very busy). He got top soil, covered it all up, and provided a path through it. We had a large amount of rocks in the front yard from the previous owner who used them to landscape, so we took those rocks and filled in where the path was planned. Then we put slate pieces over the top (slate was free from Kevin's work). Voila! A path! We transplanted some Hostas, and lily of the valley that was given to us from our neighbor, bought some hardy mums that were extremely on sale, along with a few other plants (end of season sales are the best!) and now we have a much better backyard area. I can't wait for next spring to see all the dandelion bulbs we planted pop, and also when we can put a few more things in.

We also have a lot of that awful scalloped red edging, and we are trying to upcycle some of it. So we put it against the last bottom step of our deck. The wood there was rotten, and Kevin replaced it but had to dig a tiny trench there so the soil wouldn't sit up against it. And, again, Voila! Another remedy that doesn't look too shabby. We're hoping to use some of the rest of the red scallop stuff on its side and make a path through the grass from the carport to the shed. Yard work can be done in the autumn.


No comments:

Post a Comment