Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Part 2: Texas, Detroit, Friend Visits, Summertime, and Beyond (Summer Review in Parts)

I have no shame in posting this RIDICULOUS photo
of me on my 11th birthday. In Nebraska. Looks like
I got a donut and cocoa from a vending machine.
And if you're wondering, yes, that is a cassette tape of
Debbie Gibson's "Out of the Blue" I'm holding up.
A couple of weeks ago I had a big week. I celebrated my (gulp) 39th birthday, and rang in my last year in my 30s with some nature walking, birding, eating out for both breakfast and dinner and LOTS of relaxing. My birthday came right after I returned from Texas, and it was a nice weekend to spend in Lansing, particularly because of my *interesting experience in Texas. Plus, I got to just lie low for my birthday, something I always prefer. I've never really liked celebrating my birthday. This could come from years of having my big day in July, which meant no one was ever around. Sometimes I wasn't around. I think the ultimate birthday was spent in Hastings, Nebraska. I always remembered this birthday being in Wyoming, but upon looking up this choice picture of myself, I see it was taken in Nebraska. I also remember never getting a classroom celebration. No cupcakes for me. No forced birthday cards from my classmates. I think more importantly, however, is the celebration of turning 39. It has been an incredible decade for me, and I still have 11.5 months left in my 30s! I'm excited to see what this next July to July has in store for me. I can guess a few things (ahem, coursework and probably writing my dissertation proposal) but outside of my life as a PhD student I know there is a ton more in store.

Birding and a Bosch book for the 39th.

1 comment:

  1. Yep. As I recall it, you were chasing your dad halfway across the U.S. on his beloved bicycle.

    ReplyDelete