Thursday, June 16, 2016

Travel in a Group

I arrived in the Netherlands ten days ago. Very jet-lagged and tired, the group I am traveling with made our way to Maastricht after landing in Amsterdam. Maastricht is where our "home base" is, although we have divided our time between Maastricht and other parts of Europe. So far, this "trip" has been amazing, confusing, educational, and emotional.

Traveling is something that has become a distant friend to me. I used to spend more time as a young person traveling, mostly alone. Going overseas just doesn't happen much anymore, much less going two or three hours away from where I live in Lansing. Basically, I just don't get out much, or if I do, it doesn't really feel like traveling. Now, as I travel through the Netherlands, to Belgium, France, and Germany, I feel like I have reacquainted myself with my old friend; a friend who gives me the feeling of alertness, of having to navigate things, learn quickly new phrases to try to get on in a different country. Yet this fellowship trip is also an experience I have never had before, a (dun-dun-dun) group travel experience that makes me want to tear all of my hair out. I used to mock big groups of tourists traveling through cities, and now I am a part of one of those big groups. It has taken me a while to feel comfortable walking with 19 other people. And actually, I still don't feel comfortable with it, I just kind of deal with it. Despite this, I am privileged to be here, and to be traveling to these places. Next post I'll write more about the work I'm doing here, for now, some pictures. (I'll add that I've been practicing my selfies a lot here too).

Cologne: The Kolner Dom, Love Locks on the bridge over the Rhine, little shops, selfie in the tower
of the Cologne Cathedral 533 steps! (Kolner Dom)


Paris: Heather and I at Notre Dame, little remote controlled sail boats at Jardins de Luxembourg,
Eiffel Tower, Louvre (I only did a visit to the Pompidou and skipped the Louvre) and finally
Sacre Coeur in Montmartre.

Brussels: The Atomium, the train to Brussels, the Great Market, and Manneken Pis

No comments:

Post a Comment