Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Saugatuck State Park Exploring

Over the long holiday weekend, we took a day trip to Saugatuck State Park. The park is about an hour and a half drive from Lansing, and one reason we went is because it is on Lake Michigan. I really love going to Lake Michigan, it is both really beautiful and really bizarre (I always think it should smell of the sea, and yet, it doesn't). I also love the soft soft sand of Lake Michigan, and we did enjoy the beach for a while. We walked along the strange lake lapping shore and laid out our blanket. I relaxed for a while and then thought "I'm getting kind of hot. I didn't bring my bathing suit. Kevin is going to burn." So we packed up our blanket and flip flops, and decided instead to take the 5 mile loop around the natural area of the park, figuring that most people would not want to do such a thing. We were right! We barely saw anyone on our hike, and enjoyed the overgrown dunes of Lake Michigan and its foliage. We walked out to a bluff, looked at the lake again, and then headed back on the other end of the loop, not knowing that the northern end of trail was all sandy dunes, and all in the sun almost all the way back to the trail head. But it was great! A wonderful way to spend a day off together in the outdoors, get a little tan before I head out of town (er, out of the country) and give thanks for such a beautiful country-side I live in.


No comments:

Post a Comment