Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Not a Mommy Blog

I haven't quite figured out a way to write this in a blog, so I've been putting it off for the last week. Well, here goes. I'm pregnant. Yes, it was planned :) I think a lot of folks didn't know that Kevin and I had this planned for a while, we tend to like to keep things rather close. But this conversation started about two and a half years ago, when we decided that yes we would eventually try to have children. Then after that conversation we decided when. And well, the summer of 2016 came around and well... So all of this to say that our lives will change in a very wonderful, drastic, amazing, frightening, beautiful, and OMG way around the end of next May when we can welcome our little one into the world. We refer to her as Baby B (and yes, her because according to the bloodtest results, we're having a girl. Eeeeeeeee!!!)

Shelly Tambo: Sassy 90s style and singing mom
And I'm just going to say this now: this will not become a mommy blog. This will be just one part of my blog because I'm still a PhD student, I'm still renovating my house, I'm still a runner, I'm still a whole host of other things. Plus, I feel like I'd have to know a lot more to write about pregnancy. I haven't visited any mommy blogs since I got pregnant, nor have I read any books about being pregnant. I have a little app on my phone where I can keep track of things like my sleep, my exercise, taking vitamins, etc. and it gives me little updates, little snippets every day that I can look at. My favorite part about this app is that at the start of each week it tells me how big Baby B is. Right now she's the size of a beet. And that is about the right amount of information, because when I read too much I tend to get anxious, which I'm sure is opposite from most people. Although, there is never reading too much for school, I admit, and not reading in that part of my life does make me anxious. I prefer to just take it day by day on things like this, and it's doing me just fine. Best of all, I'm still running, and on Thanksgiving ran a pretty steady 5K, averaging about 9:30 a mile, which is way faster than I usually run. It must have been the crowds on the Turkey Trot that kept me moving so fast. Anyway, I'm feeling good!

So yes, I never thought I'd move to Michigan, and now, never thought I'd have a child born in Michigan. And that is indeed what is happening and it's quite exciting to say the least. The funny thing is, when I found out, all I could think of was Shelly Tambo from Northern Exposure, a show I used to love to watch, and the episode where she got "preggers" and is compelled to only sing rather than speak. I'll try not to break out in song when I'm trying to say something, but I can't make any promises.

1 comment:

  1. I was planning to buy Baby B some REI hiking boots for Christmas but I probably should wait until next year when she is a little bigger. So happy! Dad

    ReplyDelete